§ 105‑113.24.  Out‑of‑State distributors to register and remit tax.

(a) The Secretary may authorize any distributor outside this State engaged in the business of selling and shipping cigarettes into the State to obtain a license and report and pay taxes required by this Part.

(b) A nonresident distributor must agree to submit the distributor's books, accounts, and records to reasonable examination by the Secretary or the Secretary's duly authorized agents. The Secretary may require a nonresident distributor to file a bond in accordance with G.S. 105‑113.13.

(c) Each such nonresident distributor, other than a foreign corporation which has qualified with the Secretary of State as doing business in this State shall, by a duly executed instrument filed in the office of the Secretary of State, constitute and appoint the Secretary of State his lawful attorney in fact upon whom any original process in any action or legal proceeding against such nonresident distributor arising out of any matter relating to this Article may be served, and therein agree that any original process against him so served shall be of the same force and effect as if served on him within this State, and that the authority thereof shall continue in force irrevocably so long as any such nonresident distributor shall remain liable for any taxes, interest and penalties under this Article.

(d) Any nonresident distributor who shall comply with the provisions of this section may be licensed as a distributor. (1969, c. 1075, s. 2; 1973, c. 476, s. 193; 1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 955, s. 9; 1993, c. 442, ss. 9.1(a), 9.1(b).)