115D-58.10. Surety bonds and related insurance.

The State Board of Community Colleges shall determine what State employees and employees of institutions shall give bonds or be insured for the protection of State funds and property and the State Board is authorized to place the bonds, determine adequate insurance coverage, and pay the premiums thereon from State funds.

The board of trustees of each institution shall require all institutional employees authorized to draw or approve checks or vouchers drawn on local funds, and all persons authorized or permitted to receive institutional funds from whatever source, and all persons responsible for or authorized to handle institutional property, to be bonded by a surety company authorized to do business with the State in such amount as the board of trustees deems sufficient for the protection of such property and funds. In lieu of a bond, the board of trustees may obtain and maintain adequate insurance coverage sufficient for the protection of institutional funds and property. The tax-levying authority of each institution shall provide the funds necessary for the payment of the premiums of the bonds or for insurance coverage. (1963, c. 448, s. 23; 1979, c. 462, s. 2; c. 896, s. 13; 1979, 2nd Sess., c. 1130, s. 1; 1981, c. 157, s. 1; 2019-139, s. 1.1.)