§ 135-55. Membership.
(a) The membership of the Retirement System shall consist of:
(1) All judges and district attorneys in office on January 1, 1974;
(2) All persons who become judges and district attorneys or reenter service as judges and district attorneys after January 1, 1974;
(3) All clerks of superior court in office on January 1, 1975;
(4) All persons who become clerks of superior court or reenter service as clerks of superior court after January 1, 1975;
(5) All public defenders in office on July 1, 2007;
(6) All persons who become public defenders or reenter service as public defenders after July 1, 2007;
(7) The Director of Indigent Defense Services on July 1, 2008; and
(8) All persons who become the Director of Indigent Defense Services or reenter service as the Director of Indigent Defense Services after July 1, 2008.
(b) The membership of any person in the Retirement System shall cease upon:
(1) The withdrawal of his accumulated contributions after he is no longer a judge, district attorney, public defender, the Director of Indigent Defense Services, or clerk of superior court, or
(2) His retirement under the provisions of the Retirement System, or
(3) His death. (1973, c. 640, s. 1; 1983 (Reg. Sess., 1984), c. 1031, ss. 12, 13; 2005-276, s. 29.30A(e); 2005-345, s. 42; 2007-323, s. 28.21B(e); 2008-107, s. 26.24(e).)