§ 135-96. Supplemental Retirement Board of Trustees.
(a) The Supplemental Retirement Board of Trustees is established to administer the Supplemental Retirement Income Plan established under the provisions of this Article and the North Carolina Public Employee Deferred Compensation Plan established under G.S. 143B-426.24, and the North Carolina Public School Teachers' and Professional Educators' Investment Plan established under G.S. 115C-341.2.
(b) The Board consists of nine voting members, as follows:
(1) Six persons appointed by the Governor who have experience in finance and investments, one of whom shall be a State employee, and one of whom shall be a retired State or local governmental employee;
(2) One person appointed by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Speaker of the House of Representatives;
(3) One person appointed by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the President Pro Tempore of the Senate; and
(4) The State Treasurer, ex officio, who shall be the Chair.
(c) Effective July 1, 2016:
(1) The appointments made by the General Assembly pursuant to subdivisions (2) and (3) of subsection (b) of this section shall be for initial terms of three years, to expire June 30, 2019.
(2) Three of the appointments made by the Governor pursuant to subdivision (1) of subsection (b) of this section shall be for initial terms of one year, to expire June 30, 2017.
(3) Three of the appointments made by the Governor pursuant to subdivision (1) of subsection (b) of this section shall be for initial terms of two years, to expire June 30, 2018.
Upon the expiration of these initial terms, appointments for all members shall be for terms of three years beginning on the day following the expiration date of the previous member's term.
(c1) A member shall continue to serve until the member's successor is duly appointed, but a holdover under this provision does not affect the expiration date of the succeeding term. No member of the Board may serve longer than any of the following:
(1) Two consecutive three-year terms.
(2) Three consecutive terms of any length, in the event that one or more of the terms is for fewer than three years in duration or the member serves a partial term as result of filling a vacancy.
(3) Eight consecutive years, regardless of term lengths.
(d) Other than ex officio members, members appointed by the Governor shall serve at the Governor's pleasure. An ex officio member may designate in writing, filed with the Board, any employee of the member's department to act at any meeting of the Board from which the member is absent, to the same extent that the member could act if present in person at such meeting.
(e) The Board may retain the services of independent appraisers, auditors, actuaries, attorneys, investment counseling firms, statisticians, custodians, or other persons or firms possessing specialized skills or knowledge necessary for the proper administration of investment programs that the Board administers pursuant to this section. (2008-132, s. 2; 2009-378, s. 1; 2013-287, s. 1; 2015-164, s. 1(b).)