§ 45-36.22. Partial release: content and effect; form.
(a) A document is a partial release if it does all of the following:
(1) Identifies the type of security instrument, the original parties to the security instrument, the recording data for the security instrument, and the office in which the security instrument is recorded.
(2) States that the person signing the partial release is the secured creditor or, if the security instrument is a deed of trust, that the person or persons signing the partial release is or are the secured creditor, the trustee, or both the secured creditor and the trustee.
(3) Contains language releasing property or an interest in property from the lien of the security instrument.
(4) Is signed and acknowledged as required by law for a conveyance of an interest in real property by the secured creditor or, if the security instrument is a deed of trust, by the secured creditor, the trustee, or both the secured creditor and the trustee.
(b) The register of deeds shall accept a partial release for recording unless one of the following applies:
(1) The document is submitted by a method or in a medium not authorized for registration by the register of deeds under applicable law.
(2) The required recording fee is not paid.
(3) The document is not signed and acknowledged as required by law for a conveyance of an interest in real property by the secured creditor or, if the security instrument is a deed of trust, by the secured creditor, the trustee, or both the secured creditor and the trustee. The register of deeds shall not be required to verify or make inquiry concerning the truth of the matters stated in any partial release or the authority of the person executing any partial release to do so.
(c) Upon recording, a partial release shall release from the lien of the security instrument the property or interest in property as is expressly described and released. With respect only to the specific property or interest in property identified and released by a partial release, the partial release shall (i) operate and have the same effect as a duly executed and recorded deed of release or reconveyance of the property or interest in the property; (ii) release and discharge all of the secured creditor's interest in the property or property interest arising from the security instrument; and (iii) if the security instrument is a deed of trust, release and discharge all the interest of the trustee in the property or property interest arising from the deed of trust. The security instrument shall otherwise remain in full force and effect, and the remainder of the property and interests in property described in and encumbered by the security instrument shall remain subject to the lien of the security instrument.
(d) The recording of a partial release does not by itself extinguish any liability of a person for payment or performance of the secured obligation.
(e) The provisions of this section are not exclusive. Property and interests in property may be released from the lien of a security instrument by methods other than the filing of a partial release.
(f) Unless the deed of trust provides otherwise, the trustee in a deed of trust is not a necessary party to a partial release.
(g) No particular phrasing is required for a partial release. The following form, when properly completed, is sufficient to satisfy the requirements of G.S. 45-36.22(a):
The security instrument that is the subject of this Partial Release is identified as follows:
Type of Security Instrument: (identify type of security instrument, such as deed of trust or mortgage)
Original Grantor(s): (identify original grantor(s), trustor(s), or mortgagor(s))
Original Secured Party(ies): (identify the original beneficiary(ies), mortgagee(s), or secured party(ies) in the security instrument)
Recording Data: The security instrument is recorded in Book ________ at Page ________ or as document number ________ in the office of the Register of Deeds for __________ County, North Carolina.
The person or persons signing this Partial Release is/are: (check appropriate box)
[ ] The secured creditor.
[ ] The trustee or substitute trustee.
[ ] The secured creditor and the trustee or substitute trustee.
The following described property or interest in property (and no other) is released from the lien of the security instrument: (identify legal description of property or interest in property to be released)
Signature(s) of secured creditor and/or trustee
[Acknowledgment before officer authorized to take acknowledgments]". (2011-312, s. 9.)